Health, Safety, Security and Environment. The HSSE mindset is founded on the belief that all incidents can be prevented, and is a key feature of an organization’s work within health, safety and the environment to ensure safe practices in the workplace. Fortnum Global
provide a broad range of services for controlling HSSE risk in the business through safety management systems.
An effective compliance program will help to avoid or minimize legal or regulatory penalties and potential civil litigation. It can help to promote ethical conduct across your company, as well as avoid or minimize reputational damage that often comes in the wake of a public compliance issue.
Staying on top of your assets saves you time and money. It’;s harder to lose or misplace assets when your system tracks every asset’s history and exact location. There’s a huge opportunity cost to finding your lost assets. Without a system in place, you lose productivity, too.
A risk assessment is simply a careful examination of what, in your work, could cause harm to people, so that you can weigh up whether you have enough precautions or whether you should do more.
As an employer or self-employed person, you must do a risk assessment but you only need to record it if you employee five or more people.
A safety method statement is not required by law. It describes in a logical sequence exactly how a job is to be carried out in a safe manner and without risks to health. It includes all the risks identified in the risk assessment and the measures needed to control those risks. This allows the job to be properly planned and resourced.
Safety method statements are most often found in the construction sector. They are particularly helpful for:
- Higher-risk, complex or unusual work (e.g steel and formwork erection, demolition or the use of hazardous substances)
- Providing information to employees about how the work should be done and the precautions to be taken
- Providing the principal contractor with information to develop the health and safety plan for the construction phase of a project
Whether safety method statements are used or not, it is essential to make sure
that risks are controlled
Workplace inspections help prevent incidents, injuries and illnesses. Through a critical examination of the workplace, inspections help to identify and record hazards for corrective action. Health and safety committees can help plan, conduct, report and monitor inspections.
Regular workplace inspections are an important part of the overall occupational health and safety program and management system, if present.
The purpose is to keep the workplace free of hazards. The schedule should state:
- When to inspect each area or item within the workplace
- Who carries out the inspection
- What degree of detail to inspect each area or item
How often inspections are performed will depend on several factors:
- The frequency of planned formal inspections may be set in your legislation
- Past incident records
- Number and size of different work operations
- Type of equipment and work processes – those that are hazardous or potentially
- Number of shifts – the activity of every shift may vary
- New processes or machinery
- Legislative requirements for your jurisdiction
High hazard or high risk areas should receive extra attention.
It is often recommended to conduct inspections as often as committee meetings.
Do not conduct an inspection immediately before a committee meeting but try to separate inspections and meetings by at least one week.This time allows for small items to be fixed and gives the committee an opportunity to focus on issues requiring further action.
Employers will gain a number of benefits from giving their business leaders the
opportunity to take this qualification including:
- Leadership that reflects HSE’s model of effective health and safety leadership
- Health and safety will be factored into business decisions in the future
- Leaders who recognize how their own behaviours impact on health and safety culture
It will help you become a better health and safety advocate and influencer by highlighting the key areas to focus on to make a difference.
It is relevant for all business leaders working in any sector, anywhere in the world.